.54 caliber muskets such as the M1841 Mississippi Rifle or the Austrian Lorenz Rifle were issued to the armies of both the Mexican War and the American Civil War. These rifles were deadly accurate, using a patched round ball in conjunction with a paper cartridge to facilitate speedy reloading.
This kit is designed to provide you with the materials to make 40 of your own fully functional cartridges of this pattern, historically accurate for Mexican War through Civil War-era impressions (due to shipping constraints, however, black powder is not included). The kits feature:
- 40, 530cal pure lead musket balls with muslin patches.
- Cartridge papers of sturdy brown paper.
- Twine to fix and bundle cartridges.
- A forming dowel.
- A choking cord assembly/stand.
- Four wrappers with historically correct arsenal labels to bundle your completed cartridges.
Detailed, illustrated instructions included within the kit will walk you through the historical process of constructing cartridges.
Prefer to shoot a Minié ball out of your rifle? Click to have a look at our .54cal Conical Ball kits!